Friday, August 17, 2012

Stay on the road, keep clear of the moors..

I am loving my life in the wilderness.  We have a routine, in the morning Dash and I  (because you know we do everything together) go out in our pj's, we check the water  in the birdbath, we check the feeder, we throw something out for the deer, as well as our turtle. If the animals started helping me clean house or sewing me a dress, I wouldn't be completely surprised. It's all very Disney.

But, because there is always a but isn't there? Like the stories that Disney bases a lot of it's stories on, there is a dark side. A very dark side -- and I mean that literally. At night it is pitch black here, and while it makes for amazing star gazing, it's a little jarring sometimes.

Last night Dash and I went out for his last "business meeting" of the day. And I hear a howl. A howl that sounds exactly like the howl in American Werewolf In London.  ( instant view on  Netflix - the first howl happens at 13 minutes, way before anyone's face gets ripped off, in case you want to hear it... and trust me it was EXACTLY like that, I compared. And by the way, the 2nd chess player in The Slaughtered Lamb is none other then Rik Mayall from The Young Ones, which I loved!)   Now, I'm a right thinking girl, I  KNOW that it's the dog across the street, he's a bigger dog and everything here  echoes.

But inside I think, "Ah, shit David, what is that?"

I hear the howl again, and there is a crunch in the woods.  Dash's tail  goes straight up, and we hear the howl a third time.  I immediately look around for Griffin Dunne, because if someone is going down in a werewolf attack , it's not going to be me.  I gather up Dash,  we go inside and I stare out the sliding glass door, wondering if it could hold back this:


I think I  relived every horror movie  I had ever seen, and you know I have seen a lot of them.

You would think that my night of fright would have taught me a lesson.  NOPE! Guess who watched a delightful little horror movie called The Seamstress today.  Oh come, on!  If you did cross stitch and it was on, you would have watched it too.  It had Lance Henriksen in it, so you know it had a real Pumpkinhead feel to it.  There was lots and lots of wilderness.

So tonight, when Dash and I go out so he can conduct his last business meeting, I am sure I will hear a twig snap, or something running in the woods, I'll be thinking The Seamstress, Pumpkinhead, Michael Meyers, Freddie Krueger,  Jason Voorhees are out there - and I'm pretty sure they'll be able to get in... and I haven't even stopped to consider zombies.

By the way, An American Werewolf In London, totally holds up. I watched that this afternoon  too.


2 comments:

  1. You are a brave soul. I couldn't do it. I'm a city girl all the way now. The only way I could be in the wilderness is if ten of my closest friends were with me. And none of them could (1) be a virgin (2) be a whore (3) have car trouble (4) find a Ouija board in the attic (5) wear stilettos (6) be unnaturally pale.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also: That wolf could use some dental work. At least a good cleaning. Geez.

    ReplyDelete